Monday, March 30, 2009

40 Week Appointment

We just got back from our 40-week appointment. There have been no changes since last Monday, which is surprising and disappointing considering all that I feel has been happening this week. The midwife we met with today took another shot at sweeping my membranes, so maybe it'll work this time. Since they won't induce until 41 weeks (Saturday) and they want to do some testing before hand, we have to wait until next Monday to schedule an induction. So much for guaranteeing our baby by this weekend! I'm still holding out hope that he'll make his appearance on his own time this week, but maybe I need to give up hope. I just get more and more disappointed every day that he's not here.

If we make it until next Monday, they'll do some testing to make sure that he's doing alright and that there's enough amniotic fluid to keep him healthy. The amount of amniotic fluid can be an indication of how well the placenta is keeping up, so if the fluid is getting low they'll get him out so that there are no extra risks of him not getting enough oxygen. Also, the longer you wait, the higher the risk of meconium aspiration there is. That's when the baby poops in the uterus (which doesn't usually happen) and the baby breathes it in. Since meconium is thick and sticky, that presents problems at birth if it's stuck in the lungs. And, since the baby is still growing, waiting longer ups the odds of a c-section. All of these things have me worried.

But I guess I don't have any options at this point, other than to wait (miserably). I just hope he's okay.

No comments: