Wednesday, March 18, 2009

10...

10 days until D-Day

We had our final Centering class last night. Two of the four couples left had their daughters last week, so they came and shared their birth stories and babies with us. Newborns really are that small! We're rethinking the outfits we have packed for Baby Boy since he really isn't going to be 6-month size when he comes out.

I also had my first internal exam to check for dilation and effacement. Effacement is the thinning of the cervix that makes dilation possible. I am 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced, so these practice contractions I'm having are doing something. Since dilation can happen slowly over time or all at once, me being 1 cm doesn't really say when I'll be having this little man, but things are starting to happen.

Dan and I went on a long walk this morning that seemed to get my contractions going, but now that we're home they've calmed down again. I'm so anxious to get this show on the road that every little twinge or ache has me convinced it's the beginning of labor. I'm like the little girl who cried wolf to herself! I won't believe it when it's actually happening.

10 more days...

No comments: