Saturday, December 27, 2008

27 Weeks

Only 13 weeks to go!! 27 weeks today, and our little peanut is super active. Here's what babycenter.com has to say for this week:

This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with his legs extended. He's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing his eyes, and perhaps even sucking his fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if he were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother him, so just relax and enjoy the tickle.

I'm pretty sure he's bigger than 2 pounds, but since I don't know for sure how heavy he is, we'll stick with the average estimates. I've read more about how his little eyes are opening this week and how he can start to see light that filters in through my stomach. Crazy! Not only that, but he's probably sucking his thumb to get his cheeks and jaws strong enough for feeding in three months. This week is also the last of the second trimester. Time is still dragging and speeding by at the same time, so I'm not sure how I feel about this year coming to a close! I can't wait to meet this little man, but there's still so much to do to get ready (and so much growing he needs to do before *he's* ready!).

His movements are getting stronger, and there are times we can see my stomach jump from him doing his exercises. I know I've said it before but I love it when Dan can feel him. I feel kind of selfish experiencing pregnancy so it's nice to share. Sometimes I wish that Dan could carry him for a day or two to give me a little break (my back is killing me and I'd pay good money to sleep on my back or stomach), but since that can't happen it's nice to be able to share his acrobatics.

No comments: