Sunday, December 7, 2008

24 Weeks and Still Going Strong

Today we're at 24 weeks and one day pregnant. To mix things up a little, we're going to rely on 3dpregnancy.com for this week's update:

Your baby isn't just sitting around (on your bladder) doing nothing, he's working hard preparing for life outside the womb—perfecting his lungs and packing on the pounds. He'll gain ½ pound this week alone. Other highlights this week:

Things are starting to get a little crowded inside the old womb as baby grows bigger and bigger. Your ribs are probably pining away for the good old days when they didn't have a foot permanently lodged between them. Hate to break it to you, but it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Your baby's ears are fully functional now. And since they are, you may notice that loud noises and sudden movements can startle the little bugger. He's getting used to the everyday sounds inside the womb: the sound of your heart beating, your lungs inhaling and exhaling air, the growling of your stomach because your partner promised he'd be right back with that double cheeseburger and he's taking forever! He'll even be able to hear your voice when your partner finally arrives and you ask him where the bleep he's been! So talk nice!

Baby's got a fully developed inner ear now. This means his sense of balance is working and he can tell whether he's hanging upside down or right side up. He can also feel you moving, so go ahead, pop in your favorite tunes and boogie.

Your little Wiener schnitzel is about the length of a foot-long Chicago hot dog and weighs about 1 1/3 pounds.


He has indeed been spending most of his time on my bladder. It must be the best punching bag he can find. Lately though, he has been focusing his attention further up around my belly button. Those kicks and punches are much more comfortable, not to mention that Dan can feel those better. He does seem to be sensitive to sounds and when Sprinkles wakes Dan and me up in the morning, the baby wakes up too.

For the most part, now that morning sickness is a distant memory, being pregnant isn't that bad. There are a few annoying symptoms (think constant heartburn and having to pee every 20 minutes), but it's not too bad. Yet. I am getting more uncomfortable as my midsection expands. My back hurts a lot and the extra weight is hard to lug around. I know that it will get worse as the next 16 weeks pass, but I can see it starting already. Luckily, my midwife wrote me a prescription for massages for the back pain! I found a massage center very close to our house that accepts my insurance and I have my first appointment tomorrow. I think I can handle a $10 copay in exchange for relief, no matter how temporary it is.

Grandpa Louie came for a visit this week. We don't see Dan's dad very often so it was good to spend time with him. It will be even better when he moves up this Spring.

No comments: