Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Still Blech

When I read about "morning" sickness and how it will probably last until the 13th or 14th week (and sometimes longer!), I felt pretty lucky that mine didn't kick in until the 8th week. That meant only 5 or 6 weeks of feeling bad. Well here I am, about to finish my 13th week, and I feel terrible.

I feel best first thing in the morning, right when I wake up from 10 or 11 hours of sleep (yes, I go to bed that early!). The good feelings last about 30 minutes -- long enough to shower and get dressed. Then I have to eat, and it all goes down hill from there. Eating is a chore, though breakfast is my easiest meal. Cinnamon rolls or Cheerios seem to always be an option. The other night we had French toast for dinner because only breakfast foods seemed okay.

Then comes the bus ride. The ride is usually okay until we hit lower Queen Anne. This morning we were stuck in traffic next to two lanes of freshly lain asphalt. Barf! Then we get into Belltown and downtown, and there's a smoker every foot or two. Cigarette smoke has always bothered me, but that's my number one gag inducer now.

So by the time we actually make it to our building for work, I'm practically crying and ready to go home. I think if I didn't have to walk back through the smells to wait for the bus, I would have been right back on my way to Ballard many mornings!

Lunch is never an easy decision either. Dan and I were already tired of our choices, but now none of them seem like options. I don't want teriyaki or Thai, the salad bar is alright, pizza is no longer my favorite food...so we've done a lot of settling on Mexican-ish food, even though it's not that great. I can see myself gaining 50 or 60 pounds easily this pregnancy if I get my appetite back! I'm going to eat and eat and eat as soon as food sounds good.

I'm lucky if I have a craving when we get home. Then I can sneak in dinner before 6:00 when I get sickest. If I can't/don't eat by then, I'm pretty much out of luck. I've been forcing Instant Breakfasts on these nights, so that I have enough in my stomach for my vitamins (which I'm still gagging down).

So that leads back to the early bed times. If I can't eat even though I'm starving, what's the point of staying up? I don't feel better staying up, but I do feel better when I'm unconscious. Go figure!

Now here I am, after work, trying to figure out dinner. I better hurry or it's another night of liquid nutrition for me!

But after all the whining, I would (and will) do it all over again. I love this little lime so much already, and making me sick is just its way of letting me know it's okay.

No comments: