Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Emotional Overload

I have (and have read) several pregnancy books written by doctors and nurses, and even one written by Jenny McCarthy. Every one of them talks about the emotional changes that go hand in hand with being pregnant. Nonsense, right?

We've had some trouble lately with fruit flies. Dan read about a home remedy where you put fruit in the bottom of a jar or glass, cover the top with saran wrap, and poke the end of a pencil into the wrap to make holes big enough for the flied to get in. They crawl in, can't figure out how to get out, and problem solved! We tried this experiment and were very successful Last night, we decided to clean up our fly trap, but most of them were still alive. So we filled up the glass with water to drown the little buggers. They're just flies, right? And then came the waterworks. I felt so bad killing those flies. What did they ever do to us? And was drowning really the most humane way of dealing with them?

As I sat on the couch crying about them last night, I realized how ridiculous that was. Dan didn't know whether to comfort me or laugh at me, so he settled on staring at me like I was crazy. Even I had to laugh at myself.

Back about a month ago, I was reading one of my books that wisely advised against asking your husband if you seem crazy. Because you are. But I asked Dan anyway, and he was like a deer in the headlights. How do you answer a loaded question from a crazy lady?

I'm working at home today since the Orkin people are coming out to spray for spiders. I doubt I will shed a tear for my 8-legged nemeses, but I apparently no longer have control of my feelings. We'll see!

1 comment:

Old Man said...

You have a way of expressing yourself that even an older guy like me can understand what you are going through. Yeah, right!