Saturday, April 11, 2009

8 Days Old

I can't believe that Owen's first week of life has come and gone already. In this newborn haze we're living in, time is really flying. We're getting some sleep, but I keep waking up thinking Owen needs me, whether or not he's actually up. Feeding seems to be going well too. He eats like a champ and hopefully is gaining back some of the weight he lost right away after his birth. We have another weight check appointment with his pediatrician on Tuesday to make sure he's headed up.

Dan has been incredible this whole time, which should come as no surprise to anyone who knows him. Owen and he have a great bond, and Dan has been going out of his way to take care of every little errand and chore so that I can focus on eating, sleeping and feeding. I didn't really get out of bed until 1:30 today (with a few feedings in there), which was some much needed sleep that I wasn't able to get last night.

Dan and I have been working really well together as a team. It's really really hard work caring for a newborn - which of course we knew would be the case, but until you're in it you have no idea! And my postpartum hormones are going nuts so I'm crying about everything. Most of my tears are of happiness and pride, but poor Dan spends his days with two crying family members! I think what I cry about most is Dan going in to work next week. Hopefully he'll be able to work part-time from home, but since it's our company's busy season right now, it's hard to be as productive at home as it is from the office. But I'll leave this topic alone from here, so as not to send myself into fits.

Thanks to everyone who has brought us food and sent gifts that we haven't sent thank you cards for yet. We appreciate all of the love and support you have all shown, even if we haven't been able to communicate that to you yet. Everything that you have done has made this huge transition in our lives a little bit easier, and we can't begin to thank you for how much that means to us.

No comments: