Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Unbelievable

Only 6-ish weeks to go, and it's still really hard to believe that I'm growing a person. He has sleeping and waking patterns, and I can feel him move and push and kick. But he's an actual baby person! I picture him the only way I know...as a growing skeleton, like we saw him in his ultrasound. I obviously don't know what he looks like, and he's getting chubbier and bigger, but I picture a 5-pound skeleton. Does that make me a bad mom already?

Dan and I were also talking about his experiences now. He can hear things going on around him, he can see light, he has hiccups...but other than us rubbing him or me grabbing a hand or fist when I can, he has no actual interaction with the outside world. That's pretty amazing too. What a shock it's going to be when he comes out into this dry, cold, bright place that he knows nothing about! No wonder babies cry: they've been warm and cuddled and rubbed for months, and then BLAMMO! Not to mention that he's all of a sudden going to have to breathe for himself and eat. No more free lunch (or oxygen) through the umbilical cord. That's got to be exhausting.

We had a nice visit with my Dad and Cindy last night (Big Daddy and Tutu). My dad got to feel some of Baby Boy's acrobatics, though my Dad seems to have the same soothing touch as Dan so the movements didn't last too long. It's nice to know so many people will be able to calm him down when he's in this big new world!

Six weeks...unbelievable!

1 comment:

Elham said...

what do you mean, you can grab a fist.

i'll be in touch this weekend about plans for the shower!!
el