Friday, February 20, 2009

A Day Under 35 Weeks

Wow. 35 weeks!!! 5 weeks until our due date, and hopefully we'll get to meet him sooner. He is definitely outgrowing his space. Dan and I watched a fist zip across my stomach last night. At least, we think it was a fist. Baby Boy moved it so fast and so purposefully. He is spending more and more time wedged up under my ribs - his back and butt and feet. If he really is gaining a half pound a week, I have no idea how he'll make it another 5 weeks. But my body (apparently) knows what's going on, so I have to trust it.

Here's some info from 3dpregnancy.com:

Your Body

Before all this pregnancy stuff, your uterus was a small ball the size of your fist and was tucked neatly away behind your pelvis. Today your uterus is the size of a small watermelon and reaches all the way up to your ribs.

At this point in your pregnancy all the blood has gone to your belly ... literally. Nearly 1/6 of your body's total blood volume is chugging around in the vessels in your uterus. So that's why you feel so lightheaded all the time!

Your Baby

This week the final touches are being added to your mini-masterpiece and most of his development is going to packing on the pounds. While baby's movements may be becoming less jerky, he may do his final somersault in the womb soon—to put himself into the head-down position for birth. Other fascinating facts:

Your little Karate Kid can't quite pack the punch he used to due to the limited space inside the womb these days. You're likely to feel more wiggles, stretches and rolls than kicks and jabs. The extra layer of fat your baby is adding will create those cute dimples on your baby's elbows and knees. His liver has begun processing his waste products, so you know which organ to thank when he has his first blowout up the back of his onesie.

Baby's nails are growing so long they may curl over the tips of his tiny fingers and toes before he sees a pair of clippers. He'll be in serious need of a mani-pedi once he's born (as will you).

Your baby is now about 5½ pounds and over 18 inches long—about the size of one of those price-club sheet cakes.


Speaking of sheet cakes, this afternoon is our work baby shower! There are three first born babies due in our office between the end of March and the end of May. We're having a triple shower, which I can only hope means cake! Speaking of work, I got my disability note yesterday!! I was in the office on Tuesday, but haven't been back since. It feels totally natural for me to not go there already, which is super weird. But I'm nervous to go back today! The weirdest thing about being home is not being able to pop over to see Dan. I'm so used to seeing him whenever I want...it's quite the adjustment to have it be just me and the cats. But on a positive note, I get to see daylight now (instead of the 4 walls of my windowless office). The weather has been so beautiful here this week. I'm looking forward to a good spring and summer, especially with a new baby to share it with.

No comments: