Friday, November 21, 2008

Week 22

It's funny how the weekly countdown has become less and less of a necessity for me since we had our ultrasound and know that we have a son coming. I still like counting the weeks and reading about our progress, but every day isn't so long and painful anymore. :)

Tomorrow is 22 weeks. According to babycenter.com:

At 11 inches (the length of a spaghetti squash) and almost 1 pound, your baby is starting to look like a miniature newborn. His lips, eyelids, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and he's even developing tiny tooth buds beneath his gums. His eyes have formed, but his irises (the colored part of the eye) still lack pigment. If you could see inside your womb, you'd be able to spot the fine hair (lanugo) that covers his body and the deep wrinkles on his skin, which he'll sport until he adds a padding of fat to fill them in. Inside his belly, his pancreas — essential for the production of some important hormones — is developing steadily.

In case you're not sure what a spaghetti squash looks like, here's a picture (also from babycenter.com):

Holy meatballs, Batman! That's a big squash! And I definitely think there's one of those (or bigger) in me right now. I've been feeling myself stretch out to make more room for our little guy, and Dan commented this morning that I grew overnight. I also seem to have gained 5 pounds in the last 2 days!!

We took some pictures of my growing body last night, so I'll post them this weekend so you can see what a person looks like with a spaghetti squash in her. I can't believe there are still 4 months to go. I'm not sure how it's possible to get any bigger, but I'm getting ready to find out.

Dan and I went to two Huskies basketball games this week and have confirmed that our son can hear. His favorite part of the game is when the band plays, especially with lots of drums. He goes crazy when we walk by the percussion section to leave. And his favorite song could definitely be "Celebration" by the time he gets here!

No comments: