Saturday, October 23, 2010

33 Weeks Pregnant with Baby Boy 2

I'm now 33 weeks pregnant with bouncing baby boy numero dos. We had a routine check-up on Wednesday, and he's gone through a bit of a growth spurt over the past couple of weeks. So far, I'm up 29 pounds this pregnancy, so I'm gaining at about the same rate as I did with Owen.

Since I now work from the comfort of our couch, I don't have the insane swelling in my hands, legs and feet that I did when I was pregnant with Owen and sitting behind a desk all day long. I'm even still wearing my wedding ring, which I hope I can keep on my finger this time instead of wearing it on a chain. I guess we'll see how the next 7 weeks go.

This week your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds (heft a pineapple) and has passed the 17-inch mark. He's rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and his skeleton is hardening. The bones in his skull aren't fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for him to fit through the birth canal. (The pressure on the head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with a conehead-like appearance.) These bones don't entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as his brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood.

We'll have an ultrasound on Wednesday to make sure the placenta is clear of my cervix so I can try a natural birth again this time. The ultrasound will also help estimate the baby's current and projected birth weight. Dan thinks I'm nuts for even wanting to try a normal birth, knowing that this kid is probably bigger than Owen was (9 pounds, 12 ounces) and that another c-section may be inevitable, but I want to at least try. I don't love the idea of being cut open again, and I'd like to know that the baby is ready to be born rather than picking a day before I go into labor. I do have different expectations this time though, so it won't take 26 hours of labor to make the call this time!

Here is a picture of me from Wednesday at 32 weeks and 5 days pregnant:

Photobucket

For comparison, here's one of me at 34 weeks with Owen:

Photobucket

I think the pictures are pretty similar, but I may be a tiny bit bigger this time. Either way, I have some more growing to do as this kiddo doubles his weight in the next 7-ish weeks. I'll keep you posted!