Friday, June 5, 2009

Shots

Ugh. Owen got his first set of immunizations today and it was not fun. The poor guy was hungry when we got there and then he got the hiccups. He was crying before the shots even started, but then Dan got him calmed a bit. When the first shot went in, Owen shrieked. Luckily, the other two shots were done by the time Owen took a breath for the second big cry. Along with the three shots, he had an oral polio vaccine to drink. He downed it without any hesitation before the shots started. It must have been a nice change from breast milk! When the shots were done, Owen was pretty upset. I was crying too. We stayed in the office so I could nurse him. He eventually calmed down enough to eat, and then fell asleep. He stayed sleeping for a little over an hour, woke up to eat again, then napped for a little while longer.

Since then, he's been pretty good. He's moving his legs a lot, so if they're sore he's not really letting on. He's been crying harder than usual, but luckily not more often. He and I took a two-hour nap this afternoon, and he went to sleep for the night around 7:30. We've been giving him baby Tylenol every 4 hours and it seems to be helping. I hope that a full night without it doesn't leave him waking up stiff. The first 24-48 hours are supposed to be the hardest. I hope we've seen the worst for him already. Poor guy.

2 comments:

KathyK said...

Oh Lisa! Your description about Own's shots took me back almost 32 years when Jay got his first shots. I made Uncle Pat take him in because I was sobbing so hard. I heard Jay wailing through the walls and I was wailing in the waiting room! So traumatic!! (We both lived through it though) :-)

Krista said...

Emma screamed when she got her shot at 1 month too. We are not looking forward to the 2 month shots as there are more! I fed her afterward too, it seemed to comfort her. Poor babies!